1 - International Private Practice
We provide planning advice, counsel, and legal support services to enterprises and individuals engaged in international transactions, business or investments. We focus on the jurisdictions of Europe and the Americas. Our knowledge and experience in the dynamics of transnational legal and economic milieus assists clients to structure international businesses and investments. Firm members are fluent in various languages (primarily English, German, French, Spanish and Russian) and continuously update and improve their professional skills through seminars and conferences.
2 - Planning, Structuring and Organizing
We represent a spectrum of domestic and foreign business structures (corporations, partnerships, “pass through” entities). One of our fortés is implementing business start-ups, including:
- Planning to attain long-term client goals;
- Selecting appropriate operational structure(s);
- Establishing basic relationships (commercial, executive, banking);
- Providing executive support (eg: executive participation, visas....);
- Protecting industrial or commercial property (trademarks, trade secrets);
- Due diligence research and reporting.
Another forté involves effectuating changes in business or investment structures or entities with perspectives of updating and improving them, such as:
- Legal reviews and analyses;
- Mergers, fusions, spin-offs;
- Acquisitions & divestitures;
We may also constitute and coordinate the expert and professional teams needed to prepare and maintain effective operational, financial, business, or reorganization plans.
3 - Tax Optimization and Compliance
We undertake an extensive and diversified tax practice regarding domestic and international tax jurisdictions. We provide domestic (federal, state and local) and international tax services primarily for investors, multinational businesses, general and limited partnerships, individuals, trusts, estates, corporations, and other entities. Our services include:
- Analyzing and optimizing appropriate laws and jurisdictions;
- Elaborating and adapting international strategies and structures;
- Utilizing domestic and international entities and structures; and
- Conforming chosen plans with judicial, tax and governmental requisites.
4 - Real Estate
We enjoy an extensive real estate practice involving investment, commercial, and residential realty. Projects include acquisitions of shopping malls, purchases/sales of commercial buildings, mortgage financing, and resolving land development problems. Our services include:
- Preparing contracts, agreements, and other related items;
- Negotiating purchase/sale agreements;
- Elaborating financing (sale-leaseback; mortgages);
- Brokerage and marketing arrangements;
- Leasing and rental contracts;
- Participations, syndicates and partnerships; and
- Closings (major transactions).
5 - Investment and Security
International investors often seek special legal services regarding potential investment projects. Our firm renders a range of services, including:
- Legal analyses;
- Due diligence research;
- Tax impact minimization;
- Negotiating investment relations.
Our legal services extend to various investment vehicles, such as:
- Stocks, options, warrants;
- Bonds, debentures, and rights;
- Mortgages & secured rights;
- Asset-backed arrangements;
- Private offerings;
- Funds, unit trusts, SICAVs.
6 - Business and Commercial
Various corporate clients have entrusted us as counsel for general legal matters arising from their corporate and commercial operations. Our approach - teamwork with highly qualified professionals and clients' trusted advisors - provides a wealth of skills enabling elaboration of comprehensive strategies. Thus our clients benefit from wide-ranging experience in structuring, negotiating, and implementing business acquisitions and divestitures, mergers and reorganizations, debt and equity financing, capital market transactions (both public and private sectors), leveraged buy-outs, corporate restructuring, commercial compliance, as well as equipment leasing and U.C.C. matters.
7 - Estate & Asset Planning
We assist clients in planning their estates and preserving their wealth. We often render our estate and asset planning services in conjunction with our tax, business and commercial services. Our approach emphasizes security, confidentiality and reliability by:
- Elaborating and adapting international strategies and planning;
- Utilizing domestic and international entities and structures;
- Conforming chosen plans with judicial, tax, and governmental requirements.
8 - Government Relations and Compliance
Our government relations practice involves both active representation and continuous monitoring and compliance. We represent clients directly before Federal, state, and local agencies as well as other governmental authorities, particularly in administrative processes. We assist clients to anticipate, plan, negotiate, and navigate with legislation and regulations.
9 - Executive & Investors Visas
We provide immigration advice to domestic and foreign businesses or investors. We often render immigration services in conjunction with tax and estate planning for persons receiving significant foreign-source income or for business executives. Through our networks, we assist clients in applying for, and facilitate their procurement of, appropriate visas.
10 - International Notarial Practice
Lucius Smejda is also qualified as an "International Notary" by the State of Florida. This status, equivalent to that of European Civil Law notaries, allows:
- Obtaining Apostilles
- Certifying Facts
- International Notarization
- International Wills, Trusts, Estates